Trusts and Estates
We can help keep trusts straightforward. Our experienced team ensures that trust and estate planning is problem-free and structured effectively. We can advise on all aspects of tax on the creation of a trust and how to minimise tax liabilities for its duration.
As well as working with you, we’re happy to work closely with your legal advisers to offer advice on forward trust planning, executorship duties and tax compliance matters.
Trusts can be created during a lifetime or in a will. Our role is to discuss your needs and requirements and to work out the best kind of trust for your situation. For example:
- To protect vulnerable beneficiaries, such as disabled people or children who have lost a parent.
- ‘Interest in Possession’ where beneficiaries have a right to all the trust income.
- Discretionary trusts where the trustees decide whether or not to pay income and capital to the beneficiaries.
Lifetime of a Trust
During the lifetime of a Trust we will:
- Draw up annual accounts for the Trustees.
- Prepare the annual Trust income tax returns and related certificates of tax for the beneficiaries.
- Advise on the Trust’s income tax liabilities and payment dates.
- Make calculations of the tax pool and advise on optimum payments to beneficiaries.
- Calculate capital gains tax for Trust assets.
- Undertake Inheritance Tax liabilities.
Winding up a Trust
A Trust can exist for many years, but eventually there will come a time when it has to be wound up (depending on the terms of the original Trust).
We can advise on the most tax efficient way of distributing the assets ensuring all reliefs and exemptions have been considered. We can also prepare all necessary Inheritance Tax forms on the final tax liabilities.
Following a death, there can be income tax and inheritance tax forms to complete for HM Revenue and Customs.
We can also assist with the redirection of certain estate assets and advise on tax savings if the beneficiaries agree.
We’re here to help and advise you on Trust and Estate matters. Call us anytime for a no-obligation chat. Our partners are waiting to hear from you. Alternatively contact Pauline Jackson, our specialist tax partner on 01228 534371.