If you deferred VAT between 20 March and 30 June 2020 and still have payments to make, you can:
- pay the deferred VAT in full on or before 31 March 2021
- opt in to the VAT deferral new payment scheme when it launches
- contact HMRC if you need more help to pay
Pay your deferred VAT
You can pay your deferred VAT in full by 31 March 2021.
You do not need to contact HMRC.
Opt in to the new payment scheme
The online opt in process is not available yet but you must opt in yourself, your accountant cannot do this for you.
Instead of paying the full amount by the end of March 2021, you can make up to 11 smaller monthly instalments, interest free. All instalments must be paid by the end of March 2022.
The scheme will allow you to:
- pay your deferred VAT in instalments without adding interest
- select the number of instalments from 2 to 11 equal monthly payments
To use this scheme you must:
- still have deferred VAT to pay
- be up to date with your VAT returns
- opt in before the end of March 2021
- pay the first instalment before the end of March 2021
- be able to pay the deferred VAT by Direct Debit
If you opt in to the scheme, you can still have a time to pay arrangement for other HMRC debts and outstanding tax.
Get ready to opt in to the new payment scheme
Before opting in you must:
- create your own Government Gatewayaccount if you don’t already have one
- submit any outstanding VAT returns from the last 4 years. You will not be able to join the scheme if you have not done so
- correct errors on your VAT returns as soon as possible. Corrections received after 31 December 2020 may not show in your deferred VAT balance
- make sure you know how much you owe, including the amount you originally deferred and how much you may have already paid
You should also:
- pay what you can as soon as possible to allow us to show the correct deferred VAT balance
- consider the number of equal instalments you’ll need, from 2 to 11 months
If you are not able to pay your deferred VAT
If you are still unable to pay and need more time, find out what to do if you cannot pay your tax bill on time.
For advice and information on other support available use the get help and support for your business guide.
If you have any queries about any of the above or require any assistance, please do not hesitate to get in touch with your contact partner.
If you know anyone who may benefit from our newsletters and updates, please feel free to forward this email or ask them to opt in to our mailing list.