Someone is probably self-employed if:
- They put in bids or quotes to get work.
- They’re not under direct supervision when working.
- They submit invoices for work done.
- They pay their own National Insurance and tax
Individuals and their employers may have to pay unpaid tax and penalties if their employment status is wrong.
Someone is probably employed if:
- You manage and are in charge of their workload and how it is done.
- They are required to work regularly unless they are on leave.
- They cannot refuse the work
- They are employed to do the work.
If you are in any doubt use the Check Employment Status for Tax (CEST) tool – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-employment-status-for-tax
If you know anyone who may benefit from our newsletters and updates, please feel free to forward this blog or ask them to opt in to our mailing list.